Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Review: Milani Color Statement Moisture Matte Lipstick

I usually only pick up products that my favorite YouTubers and Instagrammers are raving about because I know I can trust them (yes, people whom I've never actually met) and because of that, I know a majority of the time it'll save some pretty pennies in my pocket. However, I saw these at Walmart and was automatically like,"OOO, pretty colors." And then I ended up purchasing them just like that. I haven't heard a whole lot of people, if not any people, talking about this in the beauty community and was really excited to test these products out and form a proper opinion on them, so let's get juicy...



Milani Color Statement Moisture Matte Lipstick(s)

 Product Background

 

These are the Milani Color Statement Moisture Matte Lipsticks and they retail for $5.99 USD, so it's really affordable in comparison to some higher end lipsticks and as I mentioned, I purchased mine at Walmart so it's accessible as well. It's a pretty standard twist up lipstick that comes in bullet form and it has sleek gold reflective packaging and a clear sturdy plastic bottom that allows you to see the color clearly. There are 16 shades available in this specific range and they're all so pretty (insert heart-eyed emoji here). The lipsticks are infused with grape seed extract which is supposed to help hydrate your lips so they don't dry out from the matte formulation. It also claims to be "smear proof" and to "last for hours"; it doesn't claim a crazy specific amount of time like some other lipsticks on the market. 2 hours? 9 hours? who knows, but they weren't exactly lying...you go, Milani. So clever. These lipsticks are also vegan and all Milani products are cruelty free which I love and is amazing for animal lovers.


What do I think?

 

 So as I mentioned earlier, I was super frickin' excited to test out these beauties and I applied one of the two shades I had purchased  as soon as I got in the car. Not going to lie, I was not impressed and needless to say, my little heart was crushed. Yes, the color was stunning, but the formulation was not. The color itself wasn't as opaque as I had anticipated and the product just clung to the crevices and dry spots on my lips. It. Was. Not. Cute. However, the formulation actually did feel comfortable, creamy and quite smooth, which is a little contradicting, I know. So after the first application, I was apprehensive about wearing them, but for the sake of reviewing, I tried working with it. The next day, I tried exfoliating my lips and wearing it with a lip liner and even with a lip liner, I was not having it. I just did not like it.

Fast forward a few weeks to today... As I was swatching them and photographing them for the blog, my opinion changed. I don't know what happened or what changed, but they felt completely different today. I did not use a lip liner this time around and just applied it straight from the bullet and the application was so smooth and opaque, ooo-la-la. After my pictures and swatches, I took a break to eat and even after eating, the lipstick was still there; hardly any product came off. It's been a good 4 hours and it still looks great. And I haven't even touched up. Yas, Milani, yaassss.

L to R: 66 Matte Passion & 64 Matte Orchid

Here are the lipsticks swatched on my arm in natural daylight. They're true to color, so what you see through the clear bottom and in the bullet is what you get, which is amazing because you usually can't swatch drugstore lipsticks in the store and have to pretty much buy blindly in fluorescent lighting.

Top: 66 Matte Passion; Bottom: 64 Matte Orchid


I got two shades; 64 Matte Orchid which is a blue toned vibrant fuchsia and 66 Matte Passion which is a "fiery sunset orange red". The website got that description pretty spot on. As soon as I saw these two, I knew I needed them in my makeup collection. These colors are so bold and beautiful and perfect for the spring/summer time or a night out.

Let's get up close and personal in:

3...

2..

1.

 Heeeyyyy...

Milani Color Statement Moisture Matte Lipstick in 66 Matte Passion





Milani Color Statement Moisture Matte Lipstick in 64 Matte Orchid

 So after swatching and applying and all that jazz, I found that these lipsticks don't actually set and although they do have a matte finish, they don't feel matte. They're not at all dry in texture, they're super comfortable and if you rub your lips together, they still feel creamy and smooth. Now, with that being said, because they do not set, they do in fact smear. So if you accidentally wipe your lip, drink something or have your lips come in contact with anything else (like someone else's lips), the lipstick will smear and transfer. It also transfers on to your teeth often, so be cautious of that.


The Verdict

 

Despite my first impression of these lipsticks, I actually really ended up liking this product. I mean, it's not the best matte lipstick I've ever tried, but for the price and quality, it's definitely one of the best in the drugstore market and a great alternative to any pricier high end brands. I'd say it's worth trying. If I went back to Walmart and I happen to come across these lipsticks, I'd probably buy more colors ( but that's probably just lack of self control).

Pros

  • Affordable
  • Great color selection
  • Comfortable to wear
  • Hydrating and smooth in texture
  • Relatively long wearing

Cons

  • Not smear proof
  • Transfers onto teeth easily

Rating: 3.5/5


You can purchase Milani by clicking here OR here.

And that's all for today folks. Thank you guys for reading and hopefully you guys were able to get some insight on these Milani Color Statement Moisture Matte Lipsticks. Let me know what you guys think! Comment down below or connect with me on Instagram, Snapchat or Twitter. Until we get juicy again...


XOXO,
Tanya

No comments:

Post a Comment